Vehicle Impact Protection – Bollards
Several code sections require vehicle impact protection
- 2703.9.3 – Hazardous Materials
- 3003.3.2 – Compressed Gases
- 3403.6.4 – Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- 3807.4 – Liquefied Petroleum Gases
- 2206.4 – Motor Fuel-Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages, above ground tanks
- 2207.5.3 – Motor Fuel-Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages, LP gas
- 2209.5.2 – Motor Fuel-Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages, hydrogen
IFC Section 312 describes what is required of guard posts (bollards) used to provide vehicle impact protection.
- Constructed of steel not less than 4 inches in diameter and concrete filled
- Spaced not more than 4 feet between posts on center
- Set not less than 3 feet deep in a concrete footing of not less than a 15 inch diameter
- Set with the top of the posts not less than 3 feet above ground
- Located not less than 3 feet from the protected object
Good example of vehicle impact protection.
Gas line damaged by vehicle – no impact protection.
*Photos courtesy of the Iowa City Fire Department.