All open burning within the City of North Liberty shall be conducted in accordance with the City of North Liberty, Solid Waste Control Ordinance, Section 105.05 Open Burning Restriction and the International Fire Code.
- Burning of rubber tires, lumber, pallets, scrap wood, green wood, tree trimmings with leaves, leaves, yard waste, paper, cardboard, garbage and other refuse is not permitted.
- No person shall burn any trash, leaves, rubbish, or other combustible material in any curb and gutter or on any paved or surfaced street or alley.
- It is unlawful for a person to make a fire of any kind on any sidewalk or to place or allow any fuel to remain upon any sidewalk.
- Such fires shall not cause a nuisance to the public.
- Such fires shall be constantly attended and supervised by a person 18 years or older until the fire has been completely extinguished. A portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating or garden hose must be readily available.
- Only dry seasoned natural firewood or commercial logs may be burned.
- The pile size of the dry seasoned natural firewood or commercial logs cannot exceed three feet in diameter and two feet in height.
- All open fires shall be performed in an approved container constructed of steel, brick or masonry or in below ground fire pits.
- No burning is permitted if wind speeds exceeds (15) mph.
Use of Portable Fire Pits and Portable Fireplaces:
Shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and these regulations. Portable fire pits and portable fireplaces must have a screen and a cover to prevent flying embers. Portable fire pits and portable fireplaces shall not be located less than 15 feet away from any structures or combustible materials, or on any paved or surfaced street, alley, or sidewalk.
Use of Below Ground Fire Pits:
Shall be at least four inches in depth and shall be surrounded on the outside, above ground, by a noncombustible material such as steel, brick, or masonry. Below ground fire pits shall have a cover to prevent flying embers. Below ground fire pits shall not be located less than 25 feet away from any structures or combustible materials
City of North Liberty Section 105.05 Open Burning Ordinance