City/County Open Burning Regulation.
North Liberty Residence
All open burning within the City of North Liberty shall be conducted in accordance with the City of North Liberty, Solid Waste Control Ordinance, Section 105.5 Open Burning Restriction and the 2009 International Fire Code.
- Burning of rubber tires, lumber, pallets, scrap wood, green wood, tree trimmings with leaves, leaves, yard waste, paper, cardboard, garbage and other refuse is not permitted.
- Portable fire pits and portable fireplaces shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and these regulations. Portable fire pits and portable fireplaces must have a screen and a cover to prevent flying embers. Portable fire pits and portable fireplaces shall not be located less than 15 feet away from any structures or combustible materials, or on any paved or surfaced street, alley, or sidewalk.
- Below ground fire pits shall be at least four inches in depth and shall be surrounded on the outside, above ground, by a noncombustible material such as steel, brick, or masonry. Below ground fire pits shall have a cover to prevent flying embers. Below ground fire pits shall not be located less than 25 feet away from any structures or combustible materials.
- Native Prairie & Ceremonial open burning may be allowed within the city limits of North Liberty with an approved permit. See permit page for more information and requirements.
City of North Liberty Section 105.5 Open Burning Ordinance
Other City Ordinances prohibiting open burning:
- 135.08 BURNING PROHIBITED. No person shall burn any trash, leaves, rubbish, or other combustible material in any curb and gutter or on any paved or surfaced street or alley.
- 136.14 FIRES OR FUEL ON SIDEWALKS. It is unlawful for a person to make a fire of any kind on any sidewalk or to place or allow any fuel to remain upon any sidewalk.
- 168.05 R-FB ZONES – RESIDENTIAL FACTORY-BUILT HOUSING PARK DISTRICTS (Golfview & Holiday Lodge Residence). Open Fires. No open fires or burning shall be permitted at any time or place within a factory-built home park, unless specifically authorized by the Council. If burning is authorized under certain circumstances, it shall be limited to containers that are carefully controlled and monitored, and will be allowed only during the daytime and when individuals are actually supervising the burning . Charcoal burning in a charcoal broiler or grill for the purpose of cooking food shall be allowed, provided there is adequate supervision.